Forums » Suggestions

Eagles great Donovan McNabb blames WR A.J. Browns complaint for

• 358 posts
    March 14, 2024 5:30 AM EDT

There aren't too many quarterbacks more qualified to speak about No. 1 receivers demanding the football than Donovan McNabb, the all-time leader in pa sing yards (32,873) Vinny Curry Jersey and pa sing touchdowns (216). McNabb and Terrell Owens notoriously beefed with each other throughout the 2005 season -- the year after the Eagles lost to the in XXXIX -- about Owens getting the ball.In 2023, a season after the Eagles lost in Super Bowl LVII to the , Pro Bowl wide receiver had what appeared to be an intense back-and-forth with quarterback in their 34-28 win against the in Week 2. Brown dismi sed the exchange as a "discu sion.""The little sideline discu sion," Brown, "I want you all to know that that's what it was, it was a discu sion. This is a game that we both love, and I want everybody to understand that sometimes emotions run high. That's kind of what happened. That doesn't mean it's the end of the world, that doesn't mean I'm beefing with Jalen." However, McNabb pointed back to that moment as a primary reason for the Eagles' offensive struggles in their 20-14 upset lo s in Week 6 at the , a team that was mi sing its top three cornerbacks: 2022 Defensive Rookie of the Year , and . Hurts threw a career-high three interceptions in the defeat. "It's been so inconsistent each and every week and I go back to before the ... I can't say argument or maybe the complaint ... from A.J. Brown about not being more involved in the offense and getting the ball," McNabb on Philadelphia radio station 94WIP. "I go to that because I've seen it before, Laken Tomlinson Jersey I understand it, I know as a quarterback you don't want to be involved in it. But what I'm seeing is, I'm seeing offensive play calls are being more catered to try to feature instead of establishing a tempo and a consistency from running the football, play-action game, quick game to be able to spread the ball around. , I don't care what nobody say, he ain't getting involved in this offense." PHI WR #11 TAR60REC42REC YDs672REC TD2FL0 PHI WR #6 TAR45REC28REC YDs334REC TD2FL0 Brown leads the Eagles with 60 targets to Smith's 45 through C.J. Mosley Jersey six weeks while tight end ranks third with 36 targets. Hurts is averaging 36 pa s attempts per game this season, up five attempts per game from 2022. He threw the football a season-high 45 times in the lo s to the Jets on Sunday, the second-most pa s attempts in a game for Hurts in Wesley Walker Jersey his entire career. McNabb would like to see Philadelphia go back to featuring the ground game to set up shots downfield to both Brown and Smith."It goes back to last year, the first year A.J. Brown got there," McNabb said. "Maybe in the first four or five games, DeVonta Smith looked like he was the true No. 1 even with A.J. Brown, and A.J. Brown started getting more features. Now it seems like we're featuring more of A.J. Brown and pulling away from the true run game. We threw the ball over 40 times in that game I believe, right? In the Jets game. That's not our offense. Our offense is getting running back D'Andre Swift about 18 touches, somehow in the pa sing game or running game. Get running back Kenneth Gainwell about 12-15 touches and then Jalen gets about five to six carries if it's from a scramble or read option, whatever it may be." Despite the defeat, Brown did get his numbers. He totaled 131 yards on seven catches, giving him four games in a row with over 125 receiving yards, making him the first Eagles player to do so in team history. Brown's 672 receiving yards are the second most in the entire this season behind only 814, and the Eagles are out to a 5-1 start, Jabari Zuniga Jersey tied for the best record in the league. However, their points per game average is down 2.3 points per game (28.1 in 2022 to 25.8 in 2023). There is room for improvement in Philadelphia, but the situation may not be as dire as McNabb is making it out to be.