Forums » Support

The Penguins hadnt allowed a power-pla

• September 4, 2019 10:13 PM EDT

IRVING, Texas -- Suzann Pettersen was prepared for a much longer break from LPGA Tour when she started having more back problems. Custom Brazil Jerseys . When she had similar pain a decade ago, she was out of action for about eight months. But Pettersen missed only a month this time, and the 33-year-old Norwegian is already on top of the leaderboard again after a bogey-free 5-under 66 on Thursday in the first round of the North Texas LPGA Shootout. "I feel good. I mean very patient. Just really just trying to enjoy being back," Pettersen said. "I got to kind of pace myself a little bit. I cant do too much early in the week. So I have a lot of spare time to fool around with. ... I really cant go hit balls on the range. I play whatever I need to play and then just try to give my body a little bit of break." Pettersen had a one-stroke lead over playing partner Cristie Kerr and Michelle Wie, Caroline Masson, Christina Kim, Cydney Clanton and Dori Carter. Pettersen is playing her second tournament since withdrawing before the Kia Classic in late March, and being told rest was the way to heal her back. The worlds fourth-ranked player tied for 28th in San Francisco last week. "Its been a little bit achy early this week. So taking it a little bit careful," she said. "But last week was nice to be back. Its always tough when you come back from something like that when youre so out of play. Youre not even close to be playing. And then next thing you know the pain is gone and you can start hitting balls, and to bring back the mentality straightaway." Pettersen took sole possession of the lead when she birdied Nos. 7 and 8, her 16th and 17th holes of the day at Las Colinas Country Club. Among the 35 players under par was Juli Inkster, the 53-year-old with eight major victories who shot 69. The last of Inksters 31 career victories came in 2006. Wie is playing with confidence and just trying to have fun, and had her 15th consecutive round of par or better. All have come in a stretch when she was the runner-up in the seasons first major, won at home in Hawaii for his first LPGA Tour victory in nearly four years and then had another top-10 finish last week in San Francisco, not far from alma mater Stanford. "Definitely, my confidence level is up from last year, " said Wie, whose five top-10 finishes are already one more than she had in 26 tournaments all last season. Top-ranked Inbee Park, the defending champion, and Texas native Stacy Lewis, the highest-ranked American at No. 3, both shot 71. Park had four birdies, but the South Korean also had a bogey at the par-5 third hole, and made double bogey at the par-4 15th. "It was just one of those kind of days," Park said. "Nothing went really wrong, but just a couple of bad shots that really penalized me today." Lewis round included two three-putts and a one-stroke penalty when she unintentionally kicked her own ball in the No. 10 fairway. Kim hit 17 of 18 greens, while needing 31 putts in a bogey-free round that was her lowest score this season. The 30-year-old Kim hasnt won on the LPGA Tour since 2005, and her best finish last season was tying for 11th at North Texas. "Just played steady," Kim said. "I struck the ball really well and just kept the ball in front of me and was able to find it after every swing." Masson started the inaugural North Texas LPGA Shootout last year with a bogey-free 64, and the German also was the second-round leader. "On one hand I know I can go low here and shoot a good score. On the other hand, I kind of feel like I want to make up for the last round last year," said Masson, who finished 15th last year after a closing 75. "Its positive memories, though. I mean it was a great week for me last year, just to really get going. ... Its never nice to shoot a bad last round, but I dont have it in my head too much." Thiago Silva Brazil Jersey . - Erick Torres scored his 10th goal of the season on a stunning volley, and Chivas USA edged 10-man Real Salt Lake 1-0 on Saturday night. Philippe Coutinho Jersey . The Calgary skip fell 10-8 to Swedens Oskar Eriksson in semifinal action Saturday and will face Switzerlands Peter de Cruz for the bronze medal  (Saturday at 10pm et/7pm pt on TSN2).BOSTON -- The surging Boston Bruins said they werent fazed by Sidney Crosbys last-second goal. They proved it in overtime. Torey Krug scored 34 seconds into OT and the Bruins beat Pittsburgh 4-3 on Monday night, snapping a seven-game, regular-season losing streak to the Penguins in a matchup of the Eastern Conferences top two teams. Pittsburgh captain Crosby had scored with 0.3 seconds left in regulation to tie it. But the Bruins responded quickly. Playing with three forwards and one defenceman, they want right at the Penguins. "We were OK," Boston coach Claude Julien said of the late goal. "For some teams, sometimes it can be demoralizing. But I think this may have made us more hungry to go and try to win it." Krug won it with a slap shot from the left circle that beat goalie Marc-Andre Fleury past his left arm. Loui Eriksson and Reilly Smith scored first-period goals, and Zdeno Chara made it 3-2 with 5:15 left in regulation for the conference-leading Bruins, who are 8-2-1 in their last 11 games. Tuukka Rask made 28 saves for Boston, which beat the Penguins for the first time since December 2011. Boston also improved to 7-0-2 in its last nine home games, with both losses coming in shootouts. "Its tough," Krug said of the tying goal, "but weve got the guys and leadership where were not going to get down." Pittsburgh salvaged a point after pulling Fleury for an extra skater. Chris Kunitz fired a desperation backhander on net, and Crosby -- at the edge of the crease -- deflected the puck across the goal line behind Rask just as the green light went on. A video review clearly showed that the puck went in before time ran out. "Just hanging around the crease, hoping the puck would end there," Crosby said. Rask said it didnt distract him or his teammates for very long. "Youre always kind of mad about that, but we didnt let it bother us," he said. "We went out in overtime and took the puck to their zone and then scored a goal I think thats the sign of a good team that you dont get down on yourself after a goal like that." James Neal scored the first two goals for Pittsburgh, and Fleury made 20 saves. The Penguins, playing their third game in five days, lost for the sixth timee in 10 games. Pedro Geromel Jersey. "I liked the way, against this tough team, we stayed with the game plan and did come out with a tie after regulation," Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said. It was the first meeting in Boston since the Bruins completed a sweep of the Penguins in last seasons conference finals. Krug, skating in on the left wing, just wanted to get a hard shot on net. "A couple of times earlier I missed the net when I had good scoring chances," he said. "I just wanted to make sure hed have to make a save with his hands." Neal lifted the Penguins into a 2-2 tie with a rising wrist shot from the left circle that beat Rask under the crossbar with 8:51 left in the third. Despite being outshot 10-1 in the opening nine minutes of the game, Boston held a 2-0 lead after the first period. Both goals were set up by Carl Soderberg. Erikssons goal was a highlight play by the winger. He took a pass from Soderberg that was a little behind him near the Penguins blue line. He pushed the puck between his legs to his forehand, broke in alone, and tucked a backhander between Fleurys pads. Smiths power play goal made it 2-0 just 3:16 later. The Penguins hadnt allowed a power-play goal in six games, but Smith, cutting to the net, one-timed a pass out of the right corner from Soderberg nine seconds after Pascal Dupuis was sent off for hooking. After Smiths score, the crowd broke into chants of Fleury! Fleury! Pittsburgh cut it to 2-1 just 37 seconds into the second period when Neal fired a wrist shot from the slot that beat Rask stick side. NOTES: Former Penguins star Mario Lemieux was at the game. ... Pittsburgh beat Boston 3-2 at home on Oct. 30. The teams will meet one more time this season -- on Dec. 7 in Boston. ... The Bruins played highlights of New Englands comeback win Sunday night over the Denver Broncos before showing Patriots WR Julian Edelman, who watched the game from a luxury box, on the screen. ... Bruins defenceman Adam McQuaid (8th straight) and Dennis Seidenberg (3rd) were out with lower-body injuries. ... The Bruins scored first for the eighth time in 10 games. ... Penguins C Evgeni Malkin entered the game tied for the NHL lead in assists with San Joses Joe Thornton. He earned his 23rd on Neals goal. ' ' '