Forums » News and Announcements

Spring forming machine

• 2785 posts
    August 2, 2022 3:16 AM EDT

Spring forming machine

My invention is concerned with machines used. in forming coiled springs of the type-used in bedsprings. It is customary in such springs to wrap or knot the end of the wire of which-the'spring is formed around the next to the last turn of the spring; andit is the primary object of my invention to provide a wrapping mechanism in association with the spring-forming machine, to provide transfer means for carrying the completely wound spring to the wrapping mechanism, and to provide a second transfer means which will remove the springs successively from the wrapping mechanism and stack or nest them. More specifically, it is my object to provide for a springcoiling machine a unitary attachment which will include the wrapping mechanism, the two transfer mechanisms, and means for operating them in timed relation with the spring-coiling mechanism.
    A further object of my invention is to provide, in a machine for coiling conical springs, an attachment by which the stock wire may be partially withdrawn from the machine after a completed spring has been cut from it to permit it to be repassed later through the forming rolls and bent at a different curvature.Get more news about spring forming machine producer,you can vist our website!
    The accompanying drawings illustrate my invention: Figs. 1 and 2 are front a'nd'end elevations respectively of the complete machine; Fig. '3 is a plan of the complete machine; Fig. '4 is a detailed view illustrating the mechanism by which successively formed springs are nested; Fig. 5 is a fragmental front elevation of the machine on an enlarged scale showing details of the coiler, the wrapping mechanism or knotter, and the two transfer devices; Fig. 6 is a fragmental view similar to Fig. 5 showing the parts of the knotter in a different position; Fig. '7 illustrates the knotter in plan; Fig. 8 shows in plan the detailed construction of the transfer device by means of which the formed spring is carried from the coiler to the knotter; Fig. 9 is a front elevation of the same transfer device; Figs. 10 and 11 are vertical sections on the line AA of Fig. 9 illustrating different positions of the jaw-operating parts of the transfer device; Fig. 12is a front elevation of a mechanism employed for withdrawing the stock wire after-a spring has been-com pletely coiled and -severed';-and;Fig."13 is avertical section on the line 13-13 of Fig. 1, showing i an elevation qfthe transfer device bywhich the springs are carried from;the-.knotter to the rack on whiohthey arenested. f a
    My invention is not primarily concerned with details of the spring cilingmachine. Such machines are well known and, for my present purpose, need not be fully described. I 'I'hespring-forming machine illustrated in the I drawings'comprisesa frame 10 carrying two-.op-g I posed feed rolls 11 and 12 which draw thestock wire 13 from a supplyreel (not shown) hrough' a straightener 14. The wire, after leaving the rolls 11 and 12, passes through a set of threeforming rolls best shown in Figs. 5 and 12. Theforming rolls, as indicated, are three in number and comprise two rolls 16 and 17 mounted on fixed Y axes in positionto engage opposite sides of the wire 13 at its spaced points; The third forming roll 18 is carried in a support 19 and is movable with such supportltowar'd and away from the roll 17 to vary the curvature ofthespring-coils. j
    The pitch, or'axial spacing of thejspring-turns, v is controlled by a plate 21 having 'an incline'd f spring-engaging face 22. -As the springis being a j wound, the plate 21 is moved inwardly out- 2 wardly by suitable mechanism in order etra/m the desired spacing of successive spring-turf s.