Forums » Off-Topic Discussions

Jordan Spieth managed to

• December 12, 2019 3:01 AM EST

ATLANTA -- Another new road venue didnt affect Jesse Hahn. Air Force 1 Cheap . That is exactly what San Diego manager Bud Black has come to expect from the rookie right-hander with the cool disposition. Hahn allowed only three hits in six innings, to remain unbeaten on the road, and the Padres beat Atlanta 5-2 on Friday night to extend their recent success against the Braves. Hahn (6-2) allowed one run as he improved to 4-0 in four road starts. "It tells me a little bit about the heartbeat," Black said of Hahn. "This guy is pretty calm for a young player. Hes got some confidence in his game, which we came to know in spring training. "I like the fact again hes got a pretty even keel about his personality during the course of the game." Hahn was in control despite having only four strikeouts, his low total in eight starts. He had no quick answer for his road success. "I dont know what the difference is," Hahn said. "I approach every game the same. I didnt even know I was pitching better on the road." The Padres continued their recent offensive recovery with 13 hits to beat Alex Wood (7-8). They have had 27 hits in their last two games, their best two-game total of the season, and have scored 26 runs in their last three games. "We do think we have the capability to produce more offensively," Black said. "Its taken a while to get there, and were still not anywhere near where we need to be." The Padres still rank last in the majors with their .218 batting average and 317 runs. Tommy Medica drove in a run and had a career-high four hits. Chris Denorfia had three hits and an RBI for San Diego. The Padres, who were 5-1 against the Braves in 2013, have won five of their last six series against Atlanta since early in 2011. The Braves fell 2 1-2 games behind first-place Washington in the NL East. Wood allowed five runs, four earned. He gave up a career-high 12 hits, including three infield singles, in five innings. Other hits found holes through the infield defence. "Ive never seen so many ground balls go through the infield," Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "(Wood) kept getting ground balls, and they just kept getting through the infield." The Braves scored one run in the eighth but left the bases loaded. Kevin Quackenbush gave up a two-out single to Freddie Freeman before walking Justin Upton. Joaquin Benoit walked two batters, including a bases-loaded pass to Evan Gattis to force in a run. Chris Johnsons fly ball to shallow centre field ended the inning. Benoit had two strikeouts in a perfect ninth to earn his second save. San Diego led 5-0 before Freeman hit a one-out triple off the wall in centre field and scored on Uptons sacrifice fly in the sixth. Wood was helped by double plays in the first and second innings as he gave up eight hits but only two runs in the first three innings. The Padres doubled their lead with two runs in the fourth. Denorfia had a run-scoring single and scored on Yangervis Solartes fly ball for a 4-0 lead. Rene Rivera added a run-scoring single off Wood in the fifth. Black unsuccessfully challenged a call that Medica was forced out at second base in the fifth. Braves third baseman Chris Johnson bobbled Jeff Francoeurs grounder before throwing to Tommy La Stella at second. The call stood following a review that lasted 3 minutes, 1 second. Francoeur, who played with his hometown Braves from 2005-09, received an ovation before his first at-bat. He was 0 for 3 with a walk. NOTES: Braves RHP Anthony Vavaro was activated from paternity leave, and RHP Gus Schlosser was optioned to Triple-A Gwinnett. ... Black said San Diego 1B Yonder Alonso (wrist) will be activated from the 15-day DL and is tentatively set to start on Saturday. OF Jake Goebbert will be optioned to Triple-A El Paso. ... Braves LHP Jonny Venters, trying to come back from a second Tommy John surgery in 2013, played catch from 100 feet and could throw in the bullpen next week. ... The series continues Saturday night when Atlantas Julio Teheran will try for his 10th win against Padres rookie Ordisamer Despaigne, who has a 1.31 ERA in five starts. Air Force 1 Sale . Giants manager Bruce Bochy told The Associated Press of the decision before NL West-leading San Francisco opened a 10-game homestand Monday night with the first of three games against second-place Arizona. Air Force 1 Outlet . JOHNS, N. LOS ANGELES -- Bae Sang-moon is off to another great start at the Northern Trust Open. The next step is a better finish. Bae played bogey-free Friday on another gorgeous day at Riviera for a 5-under 66, giving him a one-shot lead over Aaron Baddeley and Robert Garrigus going into the weekend. Baddeley, who hasnt won since Riviera three years ago, birdied his last four holes for a 65. Garrigus played in the afternoon, when its a little more difficult to make putts, and managed just fine with a 67. Bae was at 9-under 133. The 27-year-old South Korean was tied for the lead going into the weekend at Riviera last year. Bae struggled to a 76 in the third round and never got back into contention. "It was really, really good experience, and I learned a lot," Bae said. "I improved a lot from last year." He wound up winning the Byron Nelson Championship a few months later for his first PGA Tour victory. Patience surely will be required at some point over the weekend on what has shaped up as one of the best weeks of weather at Riviera -- an abundance of sunshine and only a trace of wind. Despite what would appear to be pristine scoring conditions, no one has reached double digits under par this week, a testament to one of the best golf courses on the PGA Tour. "Its a strong course, especially when its dry and firm like it is," Baddeley said. "If you miss it out of position, its really hard to get the ball up-and-down. Today was good, because I made a couple good saves but coming in, I had some good looks and made them." And while Bae is in the lead, the tournament remains wide open, with 22 players separated by only five shots. One of them is Dustin Johnson, who led after the first round and opened with two quick birdies. Johnson never made any more progress, however. He dropped shots on the 12th and 15th holes to negate a few more birdies, and missed several good looks inside 12 feet. He had to settle for a 70 and was three behind at 6-under 136. "I played pretty solid today, just hit a couple of bad drivers on the back. But thats going to happen," Johnson said. "But I still had a lot of really good looks at birdie and just couldnt capitalize on any of them." Also three shots out of the lead was Jim Furyk, who had a 68. Graham DeLaet of Weyburn, Sask., followeed his opening round 70 with a 73, leaving him 10 shots back at 1-over 143. Air Force 1 For Sale. Among those missing the cut was Matt Kuchar, who failed to qualify for the weekend for the first time since the 2012 PGA Championship. His streak of 30 straight cuts was the longest active on tour, though still behind the record 142 by Tiger Woods. Baddeley was in the middle of the pack until he hit his approach on the 15th hole to about 8 feet. He followed with a short birdie putt on the par-3 16th, rolled in a birdie putt from 15 feet on the par-5 17th and finished it off with a 25-foot birdie on the 18th. Garrigus has made the cut only once in four previous trips to the Northern Trust Open. He decided to bring a new attitude, and it seems to be working. "I have pretty good willpower, so as soon as I stepped on the first hole this week, Im like, I absolutely love this place. ... And Im really starting to like it," Garrigus said. He also figured it would be one last chance to get into the Match Play Championship next week, though someone will have to break the news to him that the Match Play field is closed. Garrigus wont be playing even if he wins. Jordan Spieth managed to get in the mix, especially after he was on the cusp of leaving early. The 20-year-old Texan had tough par putts on four straight holes at the start of his round. When he finally missed one on the fourth hole for his first bogey, he took off. Spieth birdied four of his last five holes for a 66, leaving him in the large group that was at 4-under 138 along with Keegan Bradley and Jimmy Walker, still in the hunt for his fourth win this season. "I putted great today, a lot of par saves on the front," Spieth said. "I could have been 4 or 5 over at the turn, and instead I was at even, so very happy with the finish. Back in contention." Not so fortunate was Fred Couples, who had a tiny cut on the tip of his left thumb that opened up to the size of a dime, making it difficult for him to hang onto the club. Couples has gone his entire Hall of Fame career without wearing a glove. Asked if it bothered him, he said, "Yeah. I couldnt hit the ball." Couples made his 32nd appearance in this tournament, but at 2-over 144 was certain to miss the cut. David Hearn of Brantford, Ont., shot a 75, leaving him at 145. ' ' '